At WNTY Inc. we teach adults about emotional resilience, mindfulness and personal leadership. And I have to tell you that I have never had to lean into all aspects as much as I have now! Like many of you, unsure of what will happen with health or finances it is a crazy time. We have lots of great ideas that we would love to implement but with summer sports on hold right now, it seems like an exercise in futility.
Here is a technique that we do not teach, but I think worth mentioning as it could help parents and athletes alike. And that is the Sport of Journaling.
OK, its not a sport, but what the heck. Maybe in these innovative times it could be. More importantly, here are health benefits of journaling, that may be helpful for you as a parent trying to cope with kids at home. Do a quick search for yourself on the benefits of journaling and see what comes up. Here is what I found:
- Increases emotional resilience and well-being – by helping the brain regulate emotions
- Boosts your mood and gives you a greater sense of emotional well-being and happiness
- Keeps your memory sharp and increases memory capacity
- Reduces Stress (need that one now!)
- Enhances immune system (now who doesn’t want that right now!)
As you are stuck at home, your kids perhaps getting little stir crazy – try writing in a note book for 10 or 15 minutes each day. Just write, don’t judge, don’t edit, don’t think. Just write. Burn your notes if you don’t want anyone to read them, or perhaps have a great family conversation about what you wrote.
Welcome to the Sport of Journaling! Get that stick in your hand and Game on!